In a previous discussion, we delved into the icon trends prevalent among puzzle games in Japan. However, the visual representation of a game goes beyond just its icon. In this article, we will focus on the trends observed in the screenshots of puzzle games available on the Japanese App Store. These snapshots are vital components influencing a potential player’s decision to engage with the game. Understanding these trends is crucial in deciphering what makes a game stand out in a sea of options and how developers strategize to capture the audience’s attention.
Let’s look at the Top 50 free ranking puzzle category apps on the App Store in July 2023 and see what we can learn from them.
Number of Screenshots
Our analysis of the Top 50 free ranking puzzle category apps on the Japan App Store in July 2023 revealed an intriguing trend concerning the number of screenshots used. On average, these top-performing puzzle apps displayed approximately 6 screenshots, to be precise, 6.44. The App Store allows a maximum of 10 screenshots for an app’s listing. This trend emphasizes the importance of making full use of this allowance to convey the essence and appeal of the game effectively. The more engaging screenshots you can showcase, the better your chances of capturing potential users’ attention and convincing them to hit the download button.
Vertical Orientation is the Mainstream
In the world of screenshot design, orientation plays a pivotal role in how users perceive your app. Our examination of the Top 50 free ranking puzzle category apps on the Japan App Store in July 2023 unveiled a clear preference for vertical orientation in screenshots. An astounding 92% of the top-performing apps opted for a vertical layout in their screenshot presentations, leaving a mere 8% (or 4 apps out of 50) to use a horizontal orientation.
There are two main reasons behind this choice. First, many puzzle games in Japan are designed to be easy to operate with one hand, making vertical screenshots more user-friendly. Second, from a UI/UX perspective, vertical screenshots are better suited for mobile devices, ensuring a seamless and intuitive user experience.
Emphasis on Brand Colors
Puzzle games in Japan manifest a distinct emphasis on branding colors across their screenshots. Whether it’s the characters, fonts, or in-game content, these elements are utilized to communicate the game’s identity and personality. Interestingly, developers shy away from using mockups, opting instead for compositions that vividly highlight the game’s actual content. This emphasis on branding colors not only creates a strong visual identity for the app but also aids in conveying the app’s unique personality and charm, which is crucial in capturing the hearts of potential players.
In the dynamic and competitive landscape of puzzle games in Japan, understanding and adapting to screenshot trends can be the key to achieving success on the App Store. As the Top 50 free ranking puzzle category apps in July 2023 have demonstrated, the number of screenshots, their orientation, and the effective use of branding colors all play vital roles in engaging potential users and boosting conversion rates. By keeping an eye on these trends and integrating them into your app’s visual assets, you can increase your app’s chances of standing out in the crowded marketplace and attracting a dedicated user base. So, whether you’re a developer or a puzzle enthusiast, remember that when it comes to puzzle games in Japan, the right screenshot design can be the missing piece of the puzzle for your app’s success.